Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Treasure of Motherhood

My Mother's Day started off with a bang. First, I was able to sleep in, and then got a back rub when I woke up (thanks Todd). The kids made me waffles (toaster waffles) and wrote "We love you" in peanut butter. Trevor serenaded me with "Twinkle, Twinkle little star" and "When the Saints Go Marching In", (the only songs he knows since he has been teaching himself to play the guitar) while Brandon and Tyler made my bed.

Next, I we had a treasure hunt to find my presents (thanks Brandon). The clues were up and down and up and down the stairs...

(For some reason this picture wouldn't turn the right way)



Everyone helped with the clues that lead to the treasure...

The last clue lead us to the basement. And here is what I found...


Tyler had made me some things at school and scouts. One was a coupon book. It included coupons for: a 2 minute back massage, doing dishes, a car wash, and breakfast in bed. He also made me a cute card...



Tyler also made me this cool bag to carry my stuff in

Nathan drew me a picture. It is of me and him. Apparently I have a HUGE Ice cream cone and he is trying to eat it! And he also had a big kiss for me.

Posted by Picasa
(His card said, "Dear Mommy, I lub you. I lub you because it's going to be Mother's Day. I like gibing you presents on Mother's day because I lub you so much. I really lub you so I'll hug you. Happy Mother's Day. It's a special day! Lub, Nathan"
Trevor, Brandon, and Todd also made me really nice cards.
And because my family know me so well, and knows that I am obsessed with taking pictures, they bought me a digital key chain that holds 120 pictures. So that I can carry them around with me where ever I go. Great idea, huh?! And, it's PINK!
After church, Todd and the kids made dinner. They made yummy nachos. Todd wanted to be sure that it would be something that everyone would be able to help out with. Pam and Loyd came for dinner and brought cheesecake for dessert. It was a really nice day.
I am so grateful for the wonderful family that I have been blessed with. I have an awesome husband who loves me and our children more than anything. I love all my boys and know the Lord knew what he was doing giving them to me. I used to be sad that I never had a girl, but now I truly appreciate my boys and what they teach me, and know that my family is just how it was intended. As crazy and hectic as our life sometimes is (especially during Baseball season) I wouldn't change it for the world. Being a Mother is a challenge, no matter how many kids you have. Sometimes you feel like you are doing a great job and sometimes you fell like you are failing miserably. But then you hear your 4 year old say a prayer, or tell a scripture story in detail, or you see your older kids cheering for their younger brother for hitting a grand slam, giving him high fives, and telling him how awesome it was, seeing them help each other out, and having fun together, and you realize that maybe, just maybe, you are doing a better job than you sometimes give yourself credit for. I am so lucky to be able to stay home with my kids. It may not always be easy, but it is always worth it. The real treasure is being a mother to my 4 precious boys. Seeing the great young men they are turning into makes me proud beyond words. Thanks for making my Mother's Day and my life wonderful! I love you!

15 comments:

jessica said...

Very cute. I especially love Nathan's card in his cute little language.

Thanks for coming with me last night...good times huh!

The Hansen Clan said...

Your boys are so cute! You are a great mom - we all "lub" you!

rawemoments said...

You are an awesome mother, with a beautiful and wonderful family. Oh by the way, don't forget you do have a little girl, you have shares in Amelia...remember?

You are a wonderful example of what motherhood should be and I am grateful for all the lessons I have learned just by being around you - I hope I can be half as good as I raise Amelia!

I love you, happy 'belated' mothers day!

Lindsey said...

So sweet! WOW! They really knocked themselves out! I will have to have a talk with Peter...

Ilene said...

Who needs a girl when your boys are so sweet?!

Melissa-Mc said...

Penny, Thank you SO much for your kind comment on my blog. It is such a comfort to know people from all over are praying and pulling for us.

I love the blogging world and how it can it can put us in touch with such wonderful people we would have probably never met otherwise.

You have a darling family. You are raising a great army of boys, and I can tell they love you and that you are a great mom.

AMY said...

What cute boys. It's so important they treat you the way you do. I have two boys, and there's nothing else in the world I love more than to hear Aidan say I love you. There's something special about a son saying that to his mom.

Lucky! I love ego waffles.

KARA said...

Thanks your words of wisdom on motherhood- I really needed to read this today as I am home with 2sick kids that have the upper and the lower GI bug. I have been cleaning up puke and wiping bumpers since 600am- But I love it when Brayden is sick because he finally cuddles with me! :) Happy Belated Mothers Day!

AMY said...

PS I had Mike write about the campout last weekend. There's a picture of Nathan you should take a look. I'm using blogspot now so go to:

www.mcsampson-family.blogspot.com

Lindsey said...

Hey! I am creating a group for us on the rose ceremony game on ABC! Send me your e-mail address, and I will send you an invite to join!

Jessica said...

I can't believe you get out of bed looking like that.

And, I need to tell my kids about the serenading next year. Nice touch.

Meghann said...

I'm so glad you had such a nice Mother's Day!!! I love having Lucy, but it was so fun being the only girl for a while. Don't you feel special? I really miss that feeling of being the only female in the house.

Anonymous said...

You seriously scored on mom's day, I'm impressed! You have a sweet family and we have always loved you guys, especially since we all migrated here for some reason at the same time from that hot place south of here...
Thank goodness for the gospel and the understanding of the importance of motherhood...you are an awesome mommy !

Ilene said...

Penny,

My email is iwp@byu.net. I need your email as well so I can send pictures for the "P" pages of the preschool book. Whoops.

Chuck and Alli said...

Hey Penny-

This is Allison Nelson from Modesto. I havnt seen you guys in forever, your kids are getting so big. I love what they did for you for mother's day. How great! Hey do you know whatever happened with "Petra Fashions"? My husband found my receipt with my $160 credit and wants me to use it, but I cant find anything on them anymore. Do you still wokr for them? Let me know. Thanks.

Allison